Monday, January 20, 2014

Let Love In by Melissa Collins ~Katie's Review~

Wednesday, 12 June 2013

Let Love In by Melissa Collins ~Katie's Review~

Let Love In
by Melissa Collins
~Katie's Review~





Synopsis:

What would happen if you lost everything? If the people who were supposed to love you unconditionally were no longer there for you, how would your world change? That’s exactly what happened to Madeleine Becker when her parents died when she was ten years old. Ripped from her home and everything that she has ever loved, she is forced to start all over again. The only way for her to move on is to build walls around her heart and keep everyone at a safe distance. Her logic: she can't get hurt if she doesn't fall in love. That theory is blown to pieces when she meets Reid Connely during her freshman year at college. He is gorgeous and darkly mysterious. He understands Maddy's pain all too well, but sharing his pain would mean breaking down the walls he put up around his own heart. Conflicted between loving Maddy and hiding his dark past, Reid starts to reevaluate his world. Maddy's inner strength, snarky personality and breath taking beauty help Reid to make peace with his past. Together they find out what happens when they let love in.



************************

There was a group playing quarters on the island and another group lining up shots on the breakfast bar – so not my scene. I just shrugged my shoulders, opened the door, pulled out a bottle of water and, when I turned around to walk back outside, I face-planted into a wall of solid muscle.

“Hand me one?” His voice was smooth and... gruff at the same time. Red-faced, I turned back around and got him his water, glad for the cool respite that the opened refrigerator door offered. 

“Here you go.” I could not peel my eyes away from his mouth as he moved the bottle to his lips. They were perfect - beautiful and full in a completely masculine way. I watched, completely fascinated, as his throat moved, downing the water in three or four large gulps. He wiped his mouth with his forearm and I couldn’t help but let my eyes travel up the rest of his arm to his biceps and shoulders – those were the same as his lips – perfect. Amazingly, gorgeously, utterly, divinely perfect. Muscled and tanned, his arms were mouthwatering.

My knees wobbled. My heart thudded. Thousands of butterflies spread their wings in my belly. 

“Thanks…” he stared blankly at my face for a minute and I couldn't help but wondering if he liked what he saw. He cleared his throat and roused me from my little daydream where the gorgeous boy is mesmerized by the maybe-a-little-above-average looking girl. That’s when I realized he was asking for my name.

“Maddy. Sorry, my name’s Maddy." I nearly choked on my tongue to get my freaking name out.

*********************

He spins me around and pulls me close to him. He places his hands at the nape of my neck and pulls the hair tie out of my hair so that it falls around my face softly. Gently sweeping the hair that has fallen in my eyes out of the way, he brings his face closer to mine and kisses me. This kiss is different from the rest we’ve shared. It’s full of the promise of pleasure.
His tongue brushes up against mine. He’s tentative and slow at first. I can tell he’s trying to control himself, but that’s not what I want. I want to dive into his depths and get lost there, to give myself over completely to this man who I love. I know in this moment that I need to tell him that. Despite my earlier reservations about being scared, he needs to know that I love him. Whatever walls he’s keeping up, whatever secrets he’s got from me, can’t possibly be enough to change my love for him and he needs to know that.
I break the kiss and look up into his piercing blue depths. “Reid, I have to tell you something.” He looks at me questioningly before saying, “Maddy, you can tell me anything.” He brushes his knuckles softly across my cheek and says, “Is it something I did? Talk to me; tell me what’s on your mind.”
I pull him across the room to sit on the bed. My insides are trembling with nervousness over what I’m about to say and over what I know I’m finally going to let happen. He’s sitting on the edge of the bed, his feet touching the floor. I straddle his lap so that my legs are wrapped around him and so that I can look at his cool cerulean pools of love when I speak. I cup my hand around his cheek tenderly and take a deep breath, bracing for the words that are about to come out.
“Reid, I love you.” I pause to register the shock in his eyes, but there is none. He just smiles adoringly at me and traces slow, soft patterns across my back. There’s silence for a moment, and I need to fill it. “I know that you might feel like it’s too soon and I know we each have our own boatload of issues, but I can’t help how I feel. You’re amazing and you’ve broken through every barrier I’ve ever put in place to keep people out. There’s no one I want more than you and I know that we’ll be able to overcome whatever is thrown at us. I feel that strongly about us. It’s scary, terrifying actually, but I just needed you to know that I love you. I love you so, so much.” I say all of that so quickly that I need to inhale deeply just to get some air back into my lungs.
His lips tip up into a devilishly beautiful smile and he says, “Are you done? Can I have my turn?” I nod and say “uh huh” in return. Normal language function has completely left my brain.
“Madeleine, I love you too.” I move to say something but he silences me with a kiss. “No, you got your turn; now it’s mine.” He kisses me again before saying the rest. “I love you more than anything. I would move heaven and earth to make you realize how much I love you. And I don’t want you to think I’m saying this just because you’ve said it. I’ve been thinking about it a lot lately and, yea, I’ve got some fucked up shit in my head, the same shit that made me build those sky-high walls in the first place, but around you, they just vanish. That’s why I did all of this up here tonight. I wanted to create a beautiful memory of the first time I told you that I loved you. When we do decide to take things to the next level, physically, I wanted the bed to be ours and ours alone. I wanted it to just be me and you in there –no other memories except this one right now, of you glowing beautifully by the candlelight, sitting in my arms, listening to me carry on and on about how much I love you.” He kisses me on the tip of my nose and brushes the pads of his thumbs under my eyes where a few stray tears have fallen.
His confession of love ignites a fire low in my belly. If I thought I wanted him before, I was sadly mistaken. I reach for the hem of his shirt and pull it over his head, our eyes only breaking contact when the fabric brushes over his head. I push him back onto the bed so that he’s lying down and I’m still straddled on top of him. His hands are at my waist, but they’re so big that they nearly span it entirely. He moves them down a little to where my hips flow into the upper swell of my ass and he squeezes gently. His thumbs begin tracing sensual circles dangerously close to my core.
*******************

I have to start by saying that this book was absolutely amazing.  This is definitely a roller coaster book.  My emotions were all over the place.  I have to say I suffered the worst book hangover ever after this book.  That says a lot when it rarely happens to me.  

It starts with Maddy she was 10 when she lost her parents.  That alone is enough hurt for a child to take.  She has no other family other then an aunt in her sixties to care for her.  That is when she met her bestie Mel. She is the friend you want for life.  That one friend who gives you unconditional love.   After finally opening up and befriending Mel she lost her aunt that was taking care of her.  You can only imagine what so much death can do to a young child and the walls they must put up.  How can you let anyone in when those you have were taken from your life.  Even though she has suffered such a fate, she is very optimistic and looks at life head on.  She is wonderful because she is a sweet sassy smart ass you will fall in love with her.  

Time comes when they are off to college.  Mel and Maddy they are excited to start another part of their life.  Maddy is a little upset because this was the only home she knew and the only family she had so for her to leave it was heart breaking. Yes, I cried here too.  lol.  

All said and done they are in their dorm with their other two roommates who are equally as awesome.  After a few days of settling in they decide to go to a part that one of her roommates boyfriend is having.  That is when Maddy has her run in with Reid. *fans self*!

Reid is hot, built and broody.  Just like we like them. lol.  Reid's reaction and the way he emotionally treats Maddy makes you want to walk up and knock his block off.  Then you look and him and want to kiss him and make him all better.  I am telling you this boy is something else.  Reid I think I will forever love Reid.  I don't like to give much away because I don't want to spoil it for you.  

They go back and forth finally they  have a change of heart.  This is where the sweet Reid enters.  He is so sweet I got a toothache reading about him.  It is not annoyingly sweet it is a swoony sweet.  I was so happy the way things were going.  Then tragedy hits and I wanted to cry all over again.  One thing after another it will have you sobbing your ugliest cry yet.  

This book is SWEET, SEXY, FUNNY, BEAUTIFUL AND HEARTBREAKING!!! Please head over to Amazon and get this book asap.  I am telling you this is a must read!




Just so you know this is how it ended!



This was me!!! I am still there and I am crying!
I can not wait for the second book in this series!


I want to send a huge Congratulations to Melissa Collins because this book touched my soul in a way you could never imagine.  Thank you for the opportunity to review this book and I look forward to working with you in the future.  I wish you great success with this book.  It is an AMAZING story I will never forget.









Author Bio:
I’ve always been an avid reader. Majoring in English Literature was a no brainer. Becoming a teacher and instilling my love for reading into my students was also a no brainer. I’ve spent the last ten years teaching and I’ve loved (mostly) every minute of it. When I was home on maternity leave for my third son, I discovered a new genre that sparked my creativity. My passion for writing sprang from my love of reading and once I knew I had a story to tell, I couldn’t wait to get it out there. I only hope that my readers enjoy reading my story as much as I enjoyed writing it. 


_________________________________________________________________


Links:
Twitter -           @mcollinsauthor
Web –               www.melissacollinsauthor.com

No comments:

Post a Comment